Pets are summonable creatures that follow their owner. "Pet" may refer to one of the following:
- Permanent pets, which show up in the Pet Window. They have loyalty, can be traded through the pet subsection of the trade window, placed in Pet Hibernation Boxes, and can be ridden. There are two types - Evolvable and non-Evolvable.
- Vanity pets, held in cardboard boxes that are carried in the player's inventory. They provide no combat bonuses, but most can autoloot.
- Eggsploiter pets, can be summoned infinitely for free even if they die or despawn, but they have a one hour cooldown on their summon. They are very powerful with a myriad of abilities to assist their owner. The name "Eggsploiter" is normally used to refer to Sara and Meru, although Mirror-Trapped and Almanac monsters have sometimes been referred to as "Eggsploiters" as they cannot be summoned simultaneously with Eggsploiters.
- Mirror-Trapped Monsters, are monsters that have been captured with Trapping Mirrors. They are converted into an egg in the inventory, and can be summoned a single time.
- Almanac Monsters, are Mirror-Trapped Monsters that have had their information recorded in the Almanac of Gods and Demons using Devil Sealing Cards. They can be summoned from the tome indefinitely consuming Devil Dust, although low level monsters are free to summon.
- Pandora's Box Monsters, which are captured with Soultrapper Scrolls and sealed in the Pandora's Box Hanging. They can only be summoned while in private instances.
- Summoning Bugs, created by Witch Doctors. They stack in the inventory as differently colored bug items. These creepy-crawlies fight using MP, self-destructing once it is all consumed.
|Obtain Method||Trade, Purchase||Trade, Purchase||Mirror-trap||Mirror-trap and Seal||Soultrap||Trade, Plant Summoning Bug||Trade, Purchase|
|Summoning Method||Pet Window||Egg||Almanac Tome||Pandora's Box||Summoning Bug||Pet Box|
|Summoning Cost||None||Reusable, 1-Hour Cooldown||Single use||Devil Dust||None||Single use||None|
|Despawns||No||Map change||Map change, Exhaustion||Map change||Map change, 0 MP||Map change|
|On Despawn||Can resummon||Can resummon||Can resummon||Can resummon||Can resummon||Can resummon||Can resummon||Can resummon|
|On Death||Requires resurrection, loses loyalty upon death||Must reobtain||Does not die|
|Strength||Gains experience, Levels up (Max lv.70)||Fixed
(lv.15 & 60)
|Mimics owner's level
(Captured Monster's level)
|Mimics owner's level||N/A|
|Can revolt||No**||No||No||Cannot summon||Yes||Yes||No|
(Stacks to 100)
All pets capable of combat have HP and MP just like players do, but it does not regenerate. It can be recovered in the field with pet consumables or the Merchant's Trade Secrets skill tree. Monster pet (Monster-Trapped, Almanac, and Pandor) skills do not cost MP to cast, they only have a cooldown. These monsters always only have 0/0 MP.
When summoned, pets will begin at full health, with the exception of permanent pets. Permanent pet HP and MP is persistant, although they have the exclusive ability to be healed at pet stores or with the Musician's Pet Sounds skill tree.